Thoughts are Things
“I hold it true that thoughts are things;
They’re endowed with bodies and breath and wings:
And that we send them forth to fill
The world with good results or ill.
That which we call our secret thought
Speeds forth to earth’s remotest spot,
Leaving it’s blessings or it’s woes
Like tracks behind it as it goes.
We build our future thought by thought,
for good or ill yet know it not.
Yet so the universe was wrought.
Thought is another name for fate;
Choose them thy destiny and wait,
For love brings love and hate brings hate”
-Henry Van Dyke-
Life …is Hope
- LET me but live my life from year to year,
- With forward face and unreluctant soul;
- Not hurrying to, nor turning from the goal;
- Not mourning for the things that disappear
- In the dim past, nor holding back in fear
- From what the future veils; but with a whole
- And happy heart, that pays its toll
- To Youth and Age, and travels on with cheer.
- So let the way wind up the hill or down,
- O’er rough or smooth, the journey will be joy:
- Still seeking what I sought when but a boy,
- New friendship, high adventure, and a crown,
- My heart will keep the courage of the quest,
And hope the road’s last turn will be the best.
- Henry Van Dyke